Bardia National Park in Nepal is a popular destination for wildlife watching, and here are several reasons why it’s well-known for this activity:
- Biodiversity: Bardia National Park is one of the best places in Nepal to observe a wide variety of wildlife species. It’s home to a diverse range of animals, including Bengal tigers, Asian elephants, one-horned rhinoceroses, spotted deer, barking deer, wild boars, and many species of birds. This rich biodiversity makes it a prime location for wildlife enthusiasts.
- Tiger Safaris: Bardia is particularly famous for its Bengal tigers. It’s one of the best places in Nepal to see these magnificent big cats in their natural habitat. Tiger safaris and guided tours are organized within the park to increase the chances of spotting them.
- Elephant Safaris: Visitors can go on elephant-back safaris, allowing them to get up close to wildlife and observe them without disturbing their natural behavior. This provides a unique and exciting way to see animals in the wild.
- Bird Watching: Bardia National Park is a birdwatcher’s paradise. It’s home to hundreds of species of birds, including several endangered and rare ones. The park’s wetlands and grasslands provide excellent birdwatching opportunities.
- Untouched Wilderness: Compared to other national parks in Nepal, Bardia is less crowded and more pristine. This provides a more authentic and immersive wildlife-watching experience.
- Local Guides: The park employs local guides who have an intimate knowledge of the area and its wildlife. They can increase the chances of spotting elusive animals and provide valuable insights into the park’s ecosystems.
- Community-based Tourism: Bardia has embraced community-based tourism, which helps local communities benefit from conservation efforts and tourism. This approach contributes to the park’s popularity as visitors get to experience the local culture as well.
- Conservation Efforts: The park has made significant strides in wildlife conservation. It’s one of the strongholds for the conservation of the one-horned rhinoceros, and these efforts have contributed to its popularity.
- Adventure Activities: In addition to wildlife watching, Bardia offers adventure activities like jungle walks, river rafting, and cultural experiences with the indigenous Tharu community. This makes it a comprehensive destination for eco-tourism.
It’s important to note that while Bardia is a great place for wildlife watching, encounters with wild animals are not guaranteed, as these animals live in their natural habitats, and their behavior can be unpredictable. Patience and respect for the wildlife and their environment are essential when visiting the park.